The Girl In The Spiders Web - TRAILER REVIEW (2018)

Opinions

After seven years we finally get another Millenium film, but this version is from the new book by David Lagercrantz 'The Girl in The Spiders Web" which is a continuation from Steig Larsson's original trilogy. I personally feel it's too soon for this adaptation to be on the big screen, as we haven't seen much of the older stories told on American screens. Yes we have the original Swedish trilogy, but we only have one English version to watch and no sequels, so to just jump past two other films and go right into the fourth film, just doesn't make sense. The American version was vastly underrated and the fact that a lot of fans and new fans will miss both 'The Girl Who Played With Fire' and 'The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest' is just cheap and a lot of people will miss out on the masterful story that this franchise brings, because not everyone wants to watch the version they cant understand. Even the fact that Lagercrantz continuation of 'The Girl In The Spiders Web' wasn't well received, I don't see how they could start from that book when a lot of people haven't seen the previous stories.

To hope a strong female character can bring in new fans by its self is ridiculous. Now I'm a massive fan, collector, and follower of the Millenium series and I am excited about this new film, but I'm just not excited to see 'The Queen' actress, Claire Foy try playing my favorite ever character 'Lisbeth Salander' because I'm so in tune and love with Rooney Mara and Noomi Rapace. I just can't relate to Foy, to me she's too inexperienced for the role in my opinion. In the trailer, she does sway me a bit, but I feel with her background as 'The Queen' will just tone down her appearance. She's too recognizable as 'The Queen' to be taken seriously as Lisbeth, but maybe she will put it out of the bag in the full film, we shall wait until then. I hope she can.

One actor, I'm definitely not excited for is Lakeith Stanfield. If you didn't read my review on the American remake of Death Note last year, then you might not understand my dislike for him. Basically, it was his performance and version of 'L' that was one of the worst acting performances I have seen of a beloved anime character. He was one of the main reasons why the film failed so badly and for me, this really worries me for 'The Girl In The Spiders Web,' I really hope he's a small role in the film and not too important. Even though he wasn't in the trailer for long, so I cant judge harshly just yet.

The Trailer

The trailer starts off dark and gritty, with an abusive husband, standing over his wife and then the introduction of Lisbeth comes into frame. She puts him in a trap and threatens him, exactly like she should, which was a good start to the trailer. It almost feels like a call back to the originals and to be fair to Claire, so far I'm impressed with her Swedish accent, it's very good. I'm so glad they didn't Americanise her. One more thing I liked was the white paint on her eyes, I'm loving her style so far, she almost resembles both voice and style of Noomi Rapace's version of Lisbeth.

As the trailer transitions through various scenes and close-ups of Lisbeth, I just can't get it out of my head that Claire Foy is 'The Queen' and I feel she is playing too safe and not exaggerating the character as well as Rapace. So that's something I'm going to have to deal with. We do get to see Lisbeth in her usual elements, such as clubs, motorcycle, and romance, though we don't really get to see any of Mikael Blomqvist, which is sad maybe in trailer two.

After this, we see Lisbeth fighting a larger man which she overpowers, but we see that he's got white blonde hair, could this be her half-brother? Shes then confronted by a woman in all red on a snow-covered bridge, which looks so good, but she seems to have a connection with her, could this be our first encounter with Lisbeth's sister? As the trailer comes to a close, there's a beautiful but creepy shot of a woman inside a latex bag that's being vacuumed shut, as it tightens around the body, I just think that is a nice shot to show and so creative. I wonder what is happening here.

My final thoughts on the film are extremely high, there's a lot to be excited about from watching the trailer and I just hope they do the characters and story, justice and I cannot wait to see what they show next.

Comments