I just finished watching the ‘NEW’ Death Note movie; it has to be one of the worst adaptations ever made by my own opinion! Slow and badly paced dialogue, worst acting I think I have ever seen and one of the worst intros and endings I have ever witnessed! L and Light were the worst characters portrayed in this American version and those are my favourite characters from the original. Damn I am upset! They haven’t done any of the story or the characters justice! So disappointed and there so much more I hated! :( Awful pure awful! Even the live action Japanese films done better!
From what I think, they ended the film in hope for a sequel! But no chance! They didn’t even finish the story it just ended!
One of my biggest upsets in this film, are the actors! This has to be one of the worst casting crews I have witnessed in my 25 years of life! I understand they want diversity and new angle on reimagining but picking Lakeith Stanfield as L was one of the worst decisions they could make! I would of rather a female L than this unknown Lakeith! One of the issues for this I feel is the lack of high profile actors! So picking such an unknown and unpopular cast for this, let down the film! The only high profile actor was Willem Dafoe and you couldn’t even see him because he was CGI and you couldn’t even see Ryuk for 90% of the film.
Now before I make anyone more shook by how bad my review is, just understand that if you are not a lover of the original series and a die-hard fan! Don’t judge my opinion! Because if you have never seen the originals and are completely new to this series then it should just be OK!! For you, just ok!
But I do have to say that due to the rest of the cast being so bad, Margaret Qualley was surprisingly ok as Mia Sutton, I don’t know if she is supposed to be a new version of Misa Amane or a completely new character, her portrayal was so dark and I really enjoyed her presence towards the end of the movie. She’s the only one throughout the film that progressed and got better as it went on, even though she started off so cringey and awkward.
To finish off, the design and aesthetic of the movie was probably the only outstanding thing all together, it was like an 80’s horror movie meets the CW’s Riverdale. So it had a bit of artistic delight to it and that’s probably the only feature that kept me going throughout the
movie!
So if you really want to watch this film, be prepared to spend the next hour and forty minutes bored and un-captivated with the story! I suggest you either stick with the original animated series or enjoy beauty of the original live action trilogy.
Thanks!
Comments
Post a Comment